Brief Description: This process will document how to set up estimated shipping rates for the various different Zones, Filfillment Locations, Service Types, and Package Weights. After setup, the cashier will be presented with these options when creating a shipping order.
This process consists of several parts:
- Assign Weights or "Bottle Count" to all items that may be shipped
- Create shipping Zones and assign each state to a Zone
- Create Fulfillment Location in RMS as a "Shipping Carrier"
- For each Fulfilment Location, create shipping services available to each zone
- Set preferences to transmit order information to ShipCompliant
Trigger: This process can be performed at any time after RealTimeCompliance has been installed. You may, also, use this process to add an additional Fulfillment Location or Service Type.
Estimated time for completion: 2-4 hours, possibly more if there are many service types
- Access to RMS Manager and a login with Manager permissions
- Access to ProductControl on a computer that has RealTimeCompliance installed
- Chart of shipping charges by weight, zone and service type for each fulfillment location
1. Assigning Weight/Bottle Count to all items that may be shipped
- We will begin by assigning weights to each item that may be shipped. If your tasting room only ships bottles of wine, you could use "bottle count" instead. Log in to RMS Manager.
- Click 'Database' and then 'Items':
- For each item that may be shipped, choose the item and click 'Properties' or you may double-click on the item to bring up the Item Properties window:
- Click on the 'Special' tab
- In the Weight field, enter either the actual weight, or the bottle count. If you are using bottle count, in most cases this will be 1, but it may be increased/decreased for different sized bottles. Once entered, click 'OK' to save:
- Continue with this process for all items that may be shipped. After all items have been assigned a weight, you may continue on to create Shipping Zones.
Note: Remember to enter the Weight on any new items that you create in the future.
2. Create shipping Zones and assign each state to a Zone
- To create the Shipping Zones, open ProductControl: and log in. Double-click on RealTimeCompliance
- Click 'File' and then Configuration. Click the 'States' tab
- These two tables allow you to create shipping Zones and to assign a Zone to each state.
-First, Click 'Import States' to automatically bring in all states to the table on the left. There will be 51 entries because Washington D.C. is included.
Note: If you already have states listed on the left side, you should not click the 'Import States' button as it will erase any information you have assigned to the states.
- You may now create shipping Zones in the table on the right. To create a zone, click in the box below Zone Name and type the name of the zone. Click enter to save that zone and create a new one.
Note: You may have as many zones as you wish, but you will need to enter costs for each zone and service type.
Note: You may call the Zones whatever you wish. i.e. Zone 1, Zone 2, Zone 3, or West, MidWest, NorthEast, South, etc. You may use the same names that your fulfillment house uses.
- After all the Zones have been created you will need to assign each state to a Zone. Please refer to the following bullet points to see what the options do:
- (1)Tax Shipping: Check this is the state requires you to collect tax on the shipping charge
- (2)Zone: Use the drop down menu to choose the appropriate Zone. A state may only be in one zone.
- (3)Tax Override: Check this if you ship to a 3-tier state where you have a relationship with that state that has your business collecting the sales tax.
- (4)Tax Override Rate: Declare the tax rate that you will collect for this state.
- You have now created your Shipping Zones and assigned your states to them. Click . You will now create your fulfillment location(s) in RMS.
3. Create Carrier/Fulfillment Location in RMS as a "Shipping Carrier"
- Log in to RMS Manager: . Click 'Database' and then 'Shipping Carriers'
Note: There may already be Shipping Carriers entered here. If you do, we recommend that you keep them, but create new Shipping Carriers for this process, as shown below.
- Click 'New'
- In the Name field, enter the name of your Fulfillment House/Shipping Carrier, then Click 'Services'.
NOTE: You do not need to fill in the Internet Addresses
- You will now create a "Service" for each Shipping Service type and Zone combination.
Click 'Add' and fill in the name of the first Service type and Zone combination. For example, if this Fulfillment House offers UPS Ground and UPS 2nd Day Air to all of the zones we used earlier, you would create the following Services, one at a time:
- Note: If there is a Service type and Zone combination that you don't use, don't create it. For example, if you don't offer UPS 2nd Day to California, don't Add it as a service.
- For each of these services, you will need to enter the shipping rates. You can either enter them as you go, or wait until all of the services have been created. There are 15 spaces to enter weight/charge combinations:
- If you used bottle count for your item weights, then the weight here should refer to the number of bottle, not the actual weight.
- RMS will add up the weight of all the items in an order in order to determine the shipping charge. If the total weight of the order is higher than the maximum that you enter here, the "estimated shipping charge" shown to the cashier will be $0. The cashier would need to calculate the shipping charge manually.
- If you leave "Interpolate schedule" unchecked, the estimated shipping charge will be based on the closest weight over the calculated weight.
- If you check "Interpolate schedule", the estimated shipping charge will be calculated to a value that is the average of the values above and below the weighted amount.
- After shipping rates have been entered for all services, you will now link each service with the appropriate Fulfillment House and Service for ShipCompliant in RealTimeCompliance.
4. For each Fulfilment Location, create shipping services available to each zone
- Open ProductControl: and log in. Double-click on RealTimeCompliance:
- Click 'File' then 'Configuration':
- Click the 'Carrier / Service' tab:
- Click 'Import Carrier / Service from RMS' to load the Shipping Carriers and Services that you created earlier:
5. Set preferences to transmit order information to ShipCompliant
- You should now set the Fulfillment Center, Service Type, Zone and other settings for each row. Refer to the following point for help:
- FulFillment Center: Refer to the "RMS Carrier" and set the appropriate Fulfillment Center in ShiPCompliant from the drop down menu.
- Service Type: Refer to the "RMS Service" and set the appropriate Service Type in ShipCompliant from the drop down menu
- Never Ship NOW: Order exported to ShipCompliant with Payment Accepted status, indication Do Not Ship to Fulfillment Company
- Always Ship NOW if Compliant: Order exported to ShipCompliant with Completed status, indicating that Fulfillment Company should ship order.
- Choose At Time of sale: Allows cashier to make choice when tendering sale in POS.
- Auto Replenish: Check this if you don't want RMS inventory to be depleted when this Service type is used. For example, it is coming out of the Fulfillment Center's inventory, not the Tasting Room.
- Shipping Zone: Refer to this RMs Service and set the appopraite Shipping Zone from the drop down menu
- Acct #: Optional - this Account number will be transmitted as the Fulfillment Account in ShipCompliant
- Location: Optional - this Location will be transmitted to accounting software, if necessary
Note: If you had other Shipping Carriers set up before starting this process, you should not configure them on this Carrier/Service tab. Those carriers will no longer be used, and you don't want them to show up as options when ringing up a sale.
- After you have configured the new Fulfillment Locations and Services, click and you can exit out of RealTimeCompliance and Product Control.
- You have now set up estimated shipping rates. You should close and restart the on all of your registers. Log in to POS and test the functionality. You should create a shipping order and click . The estimated rates will be shown in the Rates section with a button for each shipping option. Clicking one of these buttons will set that shipping rate for the order and assign the selected Fulfillment House and Service Type:
Congratulations! You have just created estimated shipping rates for your Point-of-Sale system and made your cashiers daily processes much easier. Cheers!