What is the California Automatic Renewal Law?
It is unlawful in California to charge a consumer credit/debit card or third party payment account without the consumers’ explicit consent for ongoing product shipments. Businesses are required to present the automatic renewal offer in clear and understandable terms before the subscription begins.
To read more about the specifics of the law, please visit the California Legislative Information webpage.
Disclaimer: Please note, the information provided in this article does not, and is not intended to, constitute legal advice; instead, all information, content, and materials available on this site are for general informational purposes only. Readers of this article should contact their attorney to obtain advice with respect to any particular legal matter.
Great news! vinSUITE can help you comply with the California Automatic Renewal Law. The following features can be set up in both eWinery and vinSUITE admin panels:
- Disclose the price, frequency, and renewal terms for club subscriptions or memberships
- Allow the consumer to give affirmative consent
- Enable club members to cancel their membership within their online account
- Provide a link that informs the winery of a customer's intent to cancel their club membership
Disclose the Price, Frequency, and Renewal Terms for Club Memberships
We recommend adding this information in the Description section for each club level, so the terms of the club membership are clearly stated for potential club members.
1) In the vinSUITE admin panel, expand the Clubs module, and then select Club Levels in the drop-down list.
2) The Club Levels page appears.
Note: In the eWinery admin panel, you can click the Club icon and Club Level in the sub-menu to navigate to the Edit Club Level window.
3) Select the appropriate club level from the list, and click the Edit icon to open the Edit Club Level window.
4) Navigate to the Description tab and enter the price, frequency, and renewal terms for the subscription.
5) Click the Save button to save your information on the Description tab.
Website Example: Your text will be displayed on the general 'Wine Club' page on your website.
Note: You can additionally set a fixed rate on the Edit Club Level > General tab to highlight the information in a separate box on your website.
Allow the Consumer to Give Affirmative Consent
Adding a Preference Based Marketing Question on your Wine Club sign-up page is the best way to allow your customers to provide affirmative consent when signing up for a club membership.
1) In the vinSUITE admin panel, expand the Marketing module, and then select Preference Based Marketing from the drop-down menu.
Note: In the eWinery admin panel, you can click the Members icon and Preference Based Marketing in the sub-menu to add a new PBM Question.
2) The Preference Based Marketing page will open in the work space. Click the 'Add a Question' button.
3) The Add a Question window will appear. You can enter information in several fields to customize your Preference Based Marketing Question
|Question:||Enter the question for your customers, regarding a charge on their credit card on a monthly basis or additional sign up fee, etc.|
Select the type of answer you would like to receive to your question. We suggest choosing one of the following:
Multiple Choice (Single Selection) - The question will be presented with multiple answer options. Only one answer can be selected.
Multiple Choice (Multi-Selection) - The question will be presented with multiple answer options. Multiple answers can be selected.
Select "YES" so this question is required to be completed on your website.
Note: A customer will not be able to move to the next page if a PBM Question is required and not completed.
|Active:||Select "YES" so this question is active on your website.|
If you have multiple PBM Questions and want them to be displayed in a particular order, enter the numerical position to display this question on your website.
Note: Currently, you can only choose one order for PBM Questions and the order will display on all selected website pages.
|For Mobile Site:||
If you would like your PBM Question to display on the TabletPOS app, but NOT your online website, select 'YES'.
If you would like your PBM Question to display on your online website, select 'NO'.
|This question will appear on the following pages:
First, select the Wine Club Sign-Up page to display your PBM Question.
If you would like to display this question on any website page, please select the appropriate page:
4) Click the 'Save' button to save your PBM Question.
Website Example: Your question(s) will be displayed in the Preferences section on the 'Wine Club Sign-Up' page.
Enable club members to cancel their membership within their online account
A deactivate button can be enabled that will allow club members to instantly cancel their club membership from within their online account.
Note: You can only access the Website Display tab from the vinSUITE admin panel. If you use the eWinery admin panel, please contact the Client Services team for help at email@example.com.
1) In the vinSUITE admin panel, click the orange 'Settings' button in the top right of your screen. From the drop-down menu, choose 'System Settings'.
2) The System Settings will open in the work space. Click the 'Website Display' tab from the Settings sub-menu.
3) Switch the 'All Club Deactivation On Website' toggle toe "YES" to enable a deactivate button to display on club member profiles.
4) Click the 'Save' button to save your Website Display settings.
Website Example: This button will be displayed after selecting the individual Club Level on the 'Edit Membership' page on your website.
Provide a link that informs the winery of a customer's intent to cancel their club membership
If it’s preferable to have club members email the winery to deactivate their club membership, you can add text and an email link to the “Your Wine Clubs” page with the Site Editor under Member Login.
Note: Follow these instructions to access the Site Editor from the eWinery admin panel. If you prefer to use the vinSUITE admin panel, please contact our Client Services team to set up the appropriate link on “Your Wine Clubs” page.
1) In the eWinery admin panel, click on the Site Editor icon and scroll over to the left navigation menu. Open 'Member Login' and click on the 'Your Wine Clubs' page.
2) Enter any text that states a club member can deactivate their club membership via email link.
3) Select the text you want to display with the link and click the Link button .
4) The link pop-up will open. Select Email from the Link Type drop-down menu.
5) Enter an administrator's or manager's email address in the Email Address field.
6) Enter "Wine Club Cancellation" for the Message Subject.
7) Enter a brief message about the cancellation and club member name in the Message Body.
8) Click the 'OK' button.
9) Click the 'Save' button at the bottom of the page.
Web Example: This link will be displayed on the top of the 'Edit Membership' page on your website.